Saturday, July 26, 2014

Reflecting, learning and being fearless

A week ago today I was watching the sunset as I waited in line to cross the border back into Canada. I just kept reflecting on what a great weekend I had at the PNWA conference. Not only did it allow me to validate myself as a writer but I got to meet with like-minded people and spend 72 hours just talking about writing. I was able to give feedback, which made me think how I could make my own pitch and story better, and get feedback, which is something I constantly long for.

I learned the importance of a strong synopsis and how it differs from a query. A query letter has the hook, the book, and the cook. A synopsis should concisely tell the story without any long-windedness. The agents on the panel also discussed some of the things they like seen avoided, and I was surprised to find many of them don't want to know the ending! They'd rather the synopsis establish the story and leave it off on a cliffhanger with all major plot points intact. A synopsis uses active voice, must never have a wasted word, does not need emotion and should never have a rhetorical question! Well, I immediately went home and rewrote everything my synopsis was.

The character development panel was sort of interesting because the panelist gave good examples but most of what he said was not new to me. I did, however, like how he separated character development into three categories. The police report gives the reader basic description, how they dress and defining features. The military report dives deeper into skill level, education, what they can/can't do, quirks and beliefs seen from the outside. And the psychological report describes the character's fears, dreams and the way their background shapes their present.

One panel I hadn't expected to attend was the one about memoir writing. I felt a little nervous entering the room for most of the attendees had a few decades on me and the look of those who had a story to tell. I'm just shy of three decades and have a mere experience I want to write about not a whole life. Still, the panelist was extremely inspiring and backed up everything he was saying with a beautiful piece he had written about him and learning about his son's autism. It was so real and believable everyone applauded. It was worth going just to hear him read! According to him, a memoir is writing about a correction to perception. It should have the reader asking what will happen next. Every scene should begin with a disturbing event, and by that he meant, an event that disturbs the peace. A passive scene does not an interesting story make. And the most important thing I walked away with was, always know why you are telling your story.

Probably the most useful panel was my last one: Cleaning up your Manuscript. Proofreading is so difficult... I now know, after attending the panel, that I should get my hands on a copy of 'The Gregg Reference Manual' by William A. Sabin. It is the highest standard of grammar used and the one all other style books branch off of. I also now know that when I create a list--Sarah likes to write, read, and ride horses, a comma is used after every listed thing or else I'd be implying that I can both read and ride horses, of which I kinda can but not in the sense I am going for! My teachers always taught me you did not need a comma before and. Who knew? Anyway, I also finally put to rest whether I had to capitalize 'the empress' or not and if I needed the additional S after 'the priestess's.' And the final thought I walked away with: You don't want them to read your writing, you want them to read your story.

All and all it was a real success and I ended up meeting with some fantastic editors and agents who I hope I will one day get to work with. Then came the hard part. After all the excitement of having my material requested, I had to actually follow through and provide it. A part of me wanted to just keep it for myself. If I never sent it I would never be rejected. But that wouldn't be very fearless or writery of me so I threw my story to the wind and am hoping it lands right where it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment