Sunday, April 13, 2014

My Top Ten

In no particular order here are my top ten favourite books (or series) that have inspired or shaped me as a writer in some way. Some such as Cashore, Pierce and Velde instigated by love for YA fantasy. While others, Dubus, Gaiman and Benioff, inspire me to be the best writer I can be. All sit on my 'favourites bookshelf' which I go to frequently if I need a reminder for why I love reading and writing so much. So thank you to the authors on this list for being so amazing! And a special thanks to Andre Dubus III for being such an inspiration to me at the PNWA conference back in 2010. I frequently replay our conversation in my mind and flip to the front page where he inscribed "Dream on" in House of Sand and Fog.

Tales of Otori - Lian Hearn
His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman
City of Thieves - David Benioff
Graceling Realm - Kristin Cashore
The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stievater
Dragon's Bait - Vivian Vande Velde
The Graveyard Book - Niel Gaiman
House of Sand and Fog - Andre Dubus III
This Dark Endeavor - Kenneth Oppel
Circle of Magic -Tamora Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment